Caroline in Malawi

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Motorbikes and waiting!

Just back from a vso education thing in Zomba, was ok but didn’t learn much more. On route back to Lilongwe we went on a de-tour to Blantyre which was fun! Spent lots of money at the woodcarvers, but don’t know where I can put it all. I ran out of wall space a long time ago in my house!

Nothing much exciting has been happening recently. On Sunday we decided to go for dinner at the local restaurant which is a few kms out of the boma. I took the bike with another volunteer on the back – this was quite tricky as he is much heavier than I am so balancing on the sand was interesting.

We got there and met the others. We ordered dinner at 6.00. It normally takes about 30 mins. Today it took us over 2 hours! A very long time,especially as I had lots to do when I got home like wash my underwear, iron some clothes and pack for the next day!!

Meal was fine, but not worth the wait! So at half 8 we were ready to go. This was the first time that I was taking the bike in the dark, especially with a passenger. Ready for the off but the bloody lights on my bike no longer work!! Had to abandon ship and start walking along the dust track, in the dark, with no torch.#

Thankfully one of the other volunteers came and collected us on his bike and took me home to prepare!!

Next day we were setting off early but of course I had to go via the restaurant to collect the bike. Thankfully it started and we got off for Lilongwe only 30 mins late which is quite good for Malawi!!

Hope all is well

Caz

2 Comments:

  • Sounds like the bike training is being put to good use, not so sure about having to wait all that time for dinner though!
    glad to hear things are going well, hols are going very quickly over here, off to Brora tomorrow for a few days gardening!!
    speak soon
    Love Elise
    XxX

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:47 pm  

  • Hey Caz,

    Just been catching up on your stories over the past few weeks, as always they raise a smile!

    Sounds as if you had a good b'day, had a drink in your honour back here and hope you got my birthday text wishes. Also popped a parcel in the post the other week which should be with you either now or very shortly.

    Have dropped you an e-mail with some more chat.

    Have a good weekend.

    Take care.
    Pam G x

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home