Caroline in Malawi

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Things to report

Nothing much exciting has happened these few weeks so this will be a short entry! We have been busy with several activities to keep us amused.

Things to report are:

• I am still waiting for my furniture to be made by the local carpenter – he assures me he has the material and is starting tomorrow! ‘Tomorrow’ is a very common phrase in Malawi!

• I think I now also have mice to add to the wildlife living in my garden. I bought rat poison to put down and it bizarrely comes in wedges like cheese – only bright pink. Perhaps they think that because mice like to eat cheese they will be tempted with this look a like cheese. Maybe mice are colour blind and will really think it is cheese! Let’s hope it works!

• On the wildlife note – I also think I have bedbugs in my mattress. Everyday I wake up with more bites so I am constantly spraying the bed. Apparently they will die if I put the mattress outside for a few days in the sun. Lets hope the tumba flies don’t decide to lay their eggs on the mattress!!!

• I am heading down to Lilongwe soon for an educational workshop with all the other Education volunteers. Looking forward to catching up with everyone again. Having to get money sent from home in preparation for the shopping in Lilongwe!

• That really is all I can think of writing at the moment. Hopefully I will have a few more tales to tell soon.

• In Malawi there is no really difference with using masculine and feminine in speech so my night watch man is constantly calling me ‘sir’. It’s also very funny when a Malawian is talking about a woman doing something and suddenly they change in to a ‘he’ then back into a ‘she’ again!!

Hope all is well.

Caro (as I am called in Africa!!!!)

2 Comments:

  • Bonjour Caz P

    Wildlife sounds interesting - so glad that its not me having to deal with the bugs. Obviousy the bed bugs know how much you enjoy being in bed and have decided that they will get a good 'munch' out of you!

    Have told Cameron to get the photos circulated to we can see you and the hut (hes not actaully replied to my bebo comment tho!).

    No goss here, all very boring!

    Take it you have just worked out to bullet point your blog - how funny.

    Anyway better go and do some work, will get a letter to you soon.

    Behave :)

    Jillxx

    PS Glad to see that Pam G has filled you in on the Dons score!!!And to top off that fact that we are going to Europe - Jackie MacNamara has signed for them too - do you remember i used to have stikcers of him on my pencil case at school - ha ha! So excited!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:19 pm  

  • Hey, thanks munro - keep harassing Cam and maybe he will eventually do something about it!!

    I remember Jackie Mcnanmara when he played for celtic - he must be a bit old now tho!!

    Good luck in Europe!!

    Caz P xx

    By Blogger Caroline Pitcairn, at 1:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home