Caroline in Malawi

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Home comforts




Well I have been back in Scotland for a week now and I can now write an entry from home as I was a surprise for Mairi's wedding so was in hiding for a week! Being back is strange - some things feel like I have never been away and that my whole life in Malawi has been a dream. I have visited my school and made a good link with a couple of schools in Rumphi - the kids back here were so excited with their new penpals, especially with their photos of their new friends. I hope school can make a lovely display for the inspectors next month (what a shame I am missing that one!!!)

I also have managed to arrange my extension so I'm not back to school until August 08. Seems like such a long time away but there is still so much to achieve in Malawi, nothing to do with the sunshine etc.
I've been busy catching up with folk and spending my savings while I'm at it - you forget how expensive it is living in their country - getting my teeth cleaned and polished cost a third of my Malawian allowance!!
Thanks for all the messages you are leaving - I do read them and appreciate you all reading about my adventures. I do have to watch what I write about the state of Malawian schools and education in general as I have to be professional about it and I don't want to get VSO into trouble!! Although I do have some schools in my district that have 8 classes of about 100 kids per class and only 2 teachers for the whole school - how they do it I really don't know! (That is if the teachers decide to arrive on time or there is not a funeral on that day!!)

I'm looking into finding a website to upload some of my photos before I head back in less than a week. So for now here are a couple - the first is the folks at a local school and the second is Jonathan with mother and me in our hired truck!

Caroline

PS I realise you are still waiting eagarly for mothers entry about their visit - I'm assured that it is on its way but she is still very busy!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home