Caroline in Malawi

Saturday, July 12, 2008

I can’t believe I only have just over 3 weeks left in Malawi. Things are still really busy at work and I am running about trying to chase up projects that were started ages ago but things really do take time in Malawi!

I had a lovely birthday at the VSO regional Meeting which was in Chitipa, which is right in the north and really not that easy to get to. I though travelling to Rumphi was bad but the volunteers up there really do have it a lot worse. It was really nice to catch up with everyone, especially as that was the last time that I will see many of them!

I also have finally got round to visiting Nyika national park which is quite near here but takes ages to get to cause of the roads. There is a tiny little school right in the middle of the park which we went to visit with the Primary Education Advisor and some teachers. Basically the school has 2 teachers, 6 classes but only 30 pupils! (bearing in mind that the average class ratio is 1:100) We were observing some lessons and at one point there were 5 observers in the class watching one headteacher teach only 3 children – very bizarre. The school is really not used to having visitors and the PEA describes them as an island. No one from the education department has visited them in the last 3 years so they basically do what they want (which is not a lot really!) and they are not implementing the new national curriculum. The PEA was not impressed and gave this poor headteacher the riot act. Can’t say I blame them in a way as the communication is a real problem – they are 85km away from the Teacher Development Centre with a really poor road and transport system (the only vehicle that goes in and out leave once a week) and there is no phone network anywhere! The only near form of communication is a radio mast quite near by! Anyway, the scenery in the park is really pretty, much like the north of Scotland, but there is really nothing there for miles and miles and miles! We spotted lots of antelope type deer things and a couple of zebra.

I am starting to re-pack things from when I moved house but I’m not sure how I will get it all home. My employer is meant to provide me transport back to the capital but I know that he doesn’t have a working vehicle so it looks like I will be getting mini-buses and big buses with several large rucksacks! It will be interesting to say the least!

Anyway, must dash as I am away to 2 schools to try and chase up the building of pit latrines…..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home