Caroline in Malawi

Friday, May 02, 2008

It’s a Small World

Today I have been at a school exchange visit in one of the zones where we work. I organised the event with the Primary Education Advisor for the zone and she selected the schools that we should visit as she knows them well. Basically one school is selected to be the host (one of the best schools in the zone out of about 15) and then other teachers or headteachers (usually ones who are not so good!) are asked to come and visit the school.

We basically help with the organising, provide the transport and cover any small costs such as drinks and biscuits. We turn up on the day and join in. I think these are one of the best ways to get the teachers to improve as they actually see someone doing their job well.

Anyway the school we were at today turns out to have a link with a school in Scotland. The link seems to be pretty strong as it has loads of library books for children (not actually being used!) which is really uncommon and a few teachers are coming out to visit from Scotland in July. Previously I had an email from one of the girls that I was at uni with telling me that she is coming to Malawi in July as part of an exchange programme thing. I hadn’t heard of the name of the school and she told me she is learning a few phrases in Chichewa which is the national language but not the first language in the north which is Timbuka (I really did try to learn some of it and I know a few basic greetings and phrases but apart from that I am crap!) so I assumed she would be nowhere near me. Inevitably it turns out that this is the actual school that she is linked with and is coming to visit.

The world still gets smaller…… Upon this knowledge the Headteacher produces this big red folder of information about the school in the UK. There is also information that has been sent by other teachers in the UK who have visited the school on similar things organised by the Scottish Executive. As I am flicking through I find information about Dean Park Primary School which is in Balerno and I did my first ever teaching practise there! I knew that one of their teachers had visited but how spooky!

Even smaller….. Most of the information is from the school that is visiting in the summer but there were a few letters from the children at Dean Park Primary with photos attached (literally only 5 letters) and, yes you may have guessed I recognise on of the children who wrote a letter. It is a girl called Louise who was one of my Brownies!

So here I am sitting reading a letter sent by one of my Brownies in Balerno, Edinburgh, Scotland and I am in the middle of Malawi! How BIZARRE!

And to quote one of mother’s favourite songs: ‘It’s a small world after all’!!!!

1 Comments:

  • A very small world!

    Hope you are well.

    Pam G x

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home